Sunday, June 20, 2010

Marie's Running Testimony

The key to my success and happiness in life has always been the great people I surround my self with; that being said, becoming a member of the “Wannabees and former trackstars” has been my best New York City experience.

I joined the Wannabees in October of 2009 with very little running skills, but with great determination, and dedication, and have since managed to exceed goals that I thought were beyond my reach.

My first day of training, which should have been a 40minute run, was more of a “run and walk”. After listening to constructive criticism from Delshon and Travis, members and co-producers of the group, I continued training. My first race was the Prospect Park Turkey Trot 5mile run; which I ran in 50minutes a great success for me. That race built my confidence tremendously. The New York Road Runners 4miles run to benefit the victims of the earthquake in Haiti two months later was emotional for me being of Haitian decent and having family there. I wanted so much to go there to assist, but decided that my best contribution would be in raising awareness, and being part of a great fundraiser. Some members of the team joined me in doing the race while others came out to support. It felt like one great big family, and I was almost overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support for my homeland. At the finish line I thanked God for connecting me with the Wannabees and Former Trackstars.

The training and encouragement I received from our now coaches Delshon and Travis, and fellow team members has allowed me to seek new challenges leading up to my latest and greatest achievement, completion of the Missisagua- half marathon in Canada.

I look forward to many future adventures and running victories with the Wannabees and former Trackstars.

No comments:

Post a Comment